As the summer sun paves the way for less snow and more fresh air, your feline friend might feel more than a little frisky to get outside. Just like many animals, your cat craves sunshine and a breeze of fresh air, but as a cat parent, it is your responsibility to keep them safe. So, do you keep them jailed in your home away from the beautiful sky and greenery outside? NO! You think smart! DIY Catios are a purrfect way to keep your cat safe and secure, so they can explore the great outdoors without harming themselves or anyone else. Catios are an excellent way to give your cats the best quality of life with access to the outdoors. Now, you may be wondering what is a catio, and where can you get one? Read on to find out!
What are catios?
Let's imagine that you have a cat named Whiskers. Whiskers loves spending time outdoors, but you are worried about the dangers of cars, predators, and other outdoor hazards.
Catios are outdoor cat cages or enclosures that provide a safe and secure environment for cats to enjoy the outdoors without experiencing the risks associated with free roaming. They can still enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of the outdoors, while you get your peace of mind. Cats love to run, jump, stretch, and climb. In the enclosures, you can also install shelves for them to climb, perches and hammocks as resting places at different heights, or cat tunnels that your furry pal will love to play on. Especially if you live in an apartment with limited space, the catio can provide your pet with plenty of opportunities for exercise and play.
Being outdoors offers cats new sights, smells, and sounds that stimulate their senses and keep them mentally engaged. In addition, spending time with your cat in their catio can help strengthen your bond and provide a shared activity for you both to enjoy. Overall, by building a cat patio or enclosure, you give your cat the best of both worlds - the freedom of the outdoors and the safety of home.
Things to consider for building a catio
- Size: Consider the size of your cat and how much space they need to run, jump and climb. You will also need to consider the available space in your yard or on your balcony. Don’t forget - with a catio you can also go vertical!
- Location: Choose a location for the catio that is accessible to your cat and convenient for you. Analyze factors like sunlight, shade, and wind, and pick a space accordingly.
- Design: Think about how you want the catio to look and what features you want to include. For example, you may want to include shelves or perches for your cat to climb on, or a cat door for easy access.
- Safety: Make sure that the catio is secure and that your cat cannot escape or be harmed by other animals or predators. Also, ensure any plants or other items in the catio are safe for your cat.
- Maintenance: Consider how you will maintain the catio and keep it clean. You may need to clean the litter box more frequently or remove debris from the catio regularly depending on where it is located.
It’s a wrap!
Are you searching for the perfect cat enclosures for your feline pal? Find them at Habitat Haven now. The firm has been providing pets, and their owners with hassle-free outdoor enjoyment since 2003 and their trademark catio designs are modern, attractive, and adaptable for keeping your cats safe outdoors.